BLOG
ABOUT
PHOTOS
VIDEOS
RADIO

Thursday, January 28, 2010

MIRAMAX CLOSES

We all knew sooner or later it would happen, Miramax is officially gone. The death knell started ringing after Disney bought it and the Weinstein's left, but I can't help but feel a little sad. Was I hoping for a new Miramax film to come out? Nope, it's really just that Miramax was such a big part of my childhood.

The Crow was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and Clerks was the funniest thing in the world when I first saw it. Miramax made or distributed all the best movies in my early years, and I will always remember my Mom being furious that she let her kid talk her into taking him and a friend to see Pulp Fiction (apparently the gimp scene wasn't her cup of tea).

Really though I'll always remember the 1999 Oscars when Shakespeare In Love ran away with the best picture award, upsetting the instant classic Saving Private Ryan (I remember people being angrier about that than Bush stealing the Presidency a year later).

So, so long Miramax, you made us laugh, you made us cry... actually, all at the same time during that one scene from The Crying Game (you know what I'm talking about!)

CLICK HERE TO READ THE STORY

--DAVE

No comments: