BLOG
ABOUT
PHOTOS
VIDEOS
RADIO

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Star Trek XI: Search For Sylar?

This goes under the catagory of wild rumor. My informat "Stupid Sister" found this little tidbit that originated at CHUD.COM and then was posted here TrekWeb
So Zachary Quinto from Heroes, everyones favorite brain jonesing super-villain Sylar is supposedly in negotiations to play Spock in J.J. Abrams retooling of the Star Trek franchise. Keep in mind as I've said total rumor, but so are all of the actors being mentioned for the coveted three main roles (Kirk, Spock, Bones).
This is what Quinto told Starburst Magazine a few months ago about the possibility of playing Spock
"I tend to be the type of person who acts from a very visceral place and reacts emotionally to situations, and to 'become' a character that is completely the opposite of that is one of the reasons why I'm an actor. I would love the opportunity to understand what it is to only operate from a place of logic and look at things so specifically from that perspective."

That's cool and everything but isn't Sylar really logic based and devoid of emotion? Either way if there's any truth to this rumor I'm cool with it. Quinto's work in Heroes is stellar (albeit his charecter is one of the more fascinating Super Villians we've seen in years) and I think he certainly looks the part, being he's tall and slender and has dark hair. It's exciting too because if he gets Spock then along with Spock's "Vulcan Neck Pinch", telepathy, and mind-melds they can also add in "Creepy Eye Glare".
Earlier casting rumors had Acadamy Award winning Adrien Brody playing Spock, which I'm also ok with, though for some reason I see Brody being a little more of humorious version of Spock than Quinto, which might be good if it's a lighter version of Star Trek. They also said Matt Damon is up for Kirk and Gary Sinese for Bones (Emily Deschanel could not be reached for a comment), I think the latter would be perfect for the grumpy old docter. I also am a fan of Matt Damon, and think he'd be a great Kirk, but in my opinion there's some one even better for the role. Keep in mind this is purely my opinion and it has no basis in either real news or even internet rumors but I think Ryan Gosling would be perfect as a young James T. Kirk. He's got indy and studio cred, he's blonde, and I think he could really pull off the cocky space cowboy persona that makes Kirk freaking awesome. If thats not enough for you he's also canadian, just like Shat.

Either way good luck to all of those actors, they're all good in my book.

Thanks to Chud.com, TrekWeb.com, Starburst Magazine, Nbc.com and IMDB for the goods.

--Dave

1 comment:

SiliCon Chair said...

I like your blog ^_^ I had also heard of the Sylar rumor (I think it started in Wizard Magazine!) and that Matt was a lock. supposedly Shatner has it in his contract the he gets casting approval of anyone protraying that character...sounds like a stretch, but could be true. Personally I like Sylar for the part, Brody is out and Ryan is a good suggestion. Looking forward to your regular website